Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Hillary Clinton Political Suicide Watch, Day 64

One is tempted to see these posts as piling on, but that is not the case here. Rather than gracefully moving ahead to the next primary in West Virginia and enjoying her almost certain big win there, Hillary Clinton has allowed her campaign via a one Geoff Garin (maybe she herself directed this, how should I know?) to say that North Carolina represents "progress" because she got more of the white vote than Barack Obama, and increased her margin among whites there over Virginia. How's that again, Senator? This is demeaning at best. This is approaching the kind of race-baiting that Pat Buchanan and Rush Limbaugh engage in on a daily basis. This is beyond the pale.

Go right ahead and do this if it makes you feel better, Hillary, but don't expect me to forget about how much you have demeaned this race and more importantly how much you have demeaned people of color. You have fooled a lot of people and for that you should be very proud -- way to go.

All of this just plain sucks, of course. Betrayal like this doesn't come without pain and heartache that just churns the stomach.

I suppose the best response is a quiet turning away and that is what I intend to do. I was hoping not to have to read about this sort of spin, at least not at this stage. I was hoping that I could see some trace of humanity in her campaign today. I was sorely mistaken.

I really hate writing these posts.

No comments: